MUSIC EDUCATION OFFERINGS FOR STUDENTS
Providing opportunities for students in our community to learn about classical music is an important part of Utah Opera’s mission. We offer a variety of opportunities for individual students and classes to experience Utah Opera.
Students in grades 7-12 with their teachers are invited to attend final dress rehearsals of main-stage productions on the Thursday before opening night at the Janet Quinney Lawson Capitol Theatre. Events run from 7 PM to 10 PM.
- Tickets are required for admission. Please call (801) 533-6683 or mail Opera-Tunities order form to 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
- FREE for public/charter school students and their accompanying teachers.
- $5 for private/home school students and their accompanying teachers.
- High school students may order tickets and attend on their own. Teachers are invited to make group orders and accompany their students as chaperones. No more than one adult chaperone per seven students will be admitted. Non-teacher chaperones are $5 per ticket.
UPCOMING OPEN DRESS REHEARSALS
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera hosts masterclasses with visiting guest artists. The public is welcome to audit these classes. Please register below to attend an upcoming masterclass.
HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC CLUBS
You and your friends can enjoy great performances at a low price by organizing a music club in collaboration with Utah Symphony | Utah Opera.
- Gather interested students at your school and, on the corresponding order form, explore the concerts and opera performances you can attend as a High School Music Club:
Public and Charter school High School Music Clubs
Private school High School Music Clubs
Home school High School Music Clubs
- Decide on a package:
Symphony or Music Clubs: Select four symphony concerts and one opera final dress rehearsal from the provided list. Cost per student is $20 for public and charter schools; $25 per student for private and home schools (basic package).
Opera Clubs: Receive tickets to all four final dress rehearsals. Free for public and charter schools. For private and home schools, the cost per student is $20 (basic package).
- Register your club and order your tickets with our Group Sales Associate, Genevieve Gannon at (801) 294-2873 or email@example.com.
- Enjoy! Consider scheduling a tour of one of our buildings or inviting a musician or staff member to speak to your group.
ROLE STUDY OPPORTUNITY WITH UTAH OPERA
DURING BARBER OF SEVILLE PRODUCTION
University upper class and graduate Vocal Performance students are invited to apply for a limited opportunity to attend a selection of Utah Opera Barber of Seville rehearsals, to assist in personal/professional role study. There is no charge for this program.
Applicants must be able to commit to ALL of the following events. Depending on applicant availability and stage management approval, those admitted to this program may be able to attend some earlier staging rehearsals for their individual roles. This additional rehearsal
observation will be worked out individually with Utah Opera Education Director Paula Fowler. Staging rehearsals begin on Tuesday, February 25.
Schedule of Events
- Wednesday, March 4, 2020 | 7-10 pm | Room Run | Utah Opera Production Studios 336 North 400 West
- Saturday, March 7, 2020 | 6-10 pm | Piano Tech Rehearsal | Capitol Theatre 50 West 200 South
- Monday, March 9, 2020 | 7-10 pm | Piano Dress Rehearsal | Capitol Theatre 50 West 200 South (students are welcome to come to Inside Opera event at 6 pm in the Capitol Room; presentation, guest artists, refreshments)
- Tuesday, March 10, 2020 | 7-10 pm | Sitzprobe | Capitol Theatre 50 West 200 South
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020 | 7-10 pm | First Orchestra Dress Rehearsal | Capitol Theatre 50 West 200 South (special event at 6 pm for Blind & Visually Impaired)
- Thursday, March 12, 2020 | 7-10 pm | Final Dress Rehearsal | Capitol Theatre 50 West 200 South (student night; Utah Opera will provide assigned seats)
1. Audition for your teacher – you must have studied and can perform at least one of your study role’s arias, and your teacher must approve your application for this program.
2. Email Paula Fowler, Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org when you have determined you can attend all rehearsals and have auditioned for your teacher.
3. Ask your teacher to separately email Paula with approval of your application.